Tuesday, January 12, 2010

My Golden Girl

Allean Hale, pre-eminent Williams scholar (now in her mid 90s), wrote me today. Allean, who spent two summers trying to bring to light the truth of how Tennessee's will and codicil were subverted by the University of the South but could not get in their face because, like all scholars, producers, directors, actors, biographers, etc. (but not like me), her life's work--the understanding and promotion of Tennessee's work--is entirely dependent on getting Sewannee's permission to access archives or to gain rights to perform or publish.

Also (unlike me), Allean is a lady.

A very painful choice, as many of you have told me. "Shut up, or you're shut out." Thank you, Christian steward of Tennessee Williams' property!

But I believe everyone (scholars, artists, etc.) has made the right decision. Despite the most evil of conditions, you have seen to it that Tennessee lives.

Now he grows. Watch him.

This article, written by Allean in 2003, attests to the beauty of both author and subject:

"Confronting the Late Plays of Tennessee Williams"

No comments: