Thursday, September 2, 2010

When machines go AWOL. The PV Crime Solution.


Good Morning, Gentle Readers!

Today, I’m devoting primarily to appreciation, but first, I must report that I have already had a bit of a shock -- one I’m not at all sure what to make of: The washing machine that is for the use the whole building has disappeared from the fourth floor landing!

It could not have been stolen. The floors are actually taller than US commercial buildings, the construction is 100% masonry with no sound absorbing material at all. Almost all apartments have their doors within a step or two of the stairs. So someone with permisso took it.

I am not aware of its having any mechanical problems, but if the landlord could deal with that, he could have come down here and the two of us gotten the refrigerator in the empty restaurant space next door to mine (the one he promised I could use), moved over to my apartment.

‘Nuff said.

And an idea struck me this morning that is so elegant it took my breath away. Here’s how to stop the spread of drug corruption, use, and violence in Mexican neighborhoods: Make ALL police wear name tags with their full names on them. Mexican names seem to come from a far smaller database than American ones, so I suggest using the same three names that everyone seems to use here for legal purposes.

And perhaps even more important than that, ALL police must have business cards that show a clear color photo of their face that they offer immediately when approaching anyone (dangerous situations excepted). And there should be stiff fines for any officer not able to produce his card on demand. They remember their guns; they can remember their cards.

This will make everyone identifiable and responsible in the sense that Mexicans are justifiably proud of their family heritages, and they will be aware that they put their family’s honor on the line in every word and action they take as police officers.

It was WAAAAAY beyond shocking that in the four times PV Police have tried (unsuccessfully) to arrest me, and then my visit to The-Way-To-Las-Juntas Police HQ (and later visit by city and Tourista Police), that NOT ONE of them would tell me his or her name. EVERYONE of them returned my business card to me. NO ONE would allow me tell them Enrique’s name, and although I’d written it and all Enrique’s contact info on the back of my own card and given it to the police when they were in my apartment, they LEFT IT ON MY TABLE!!!

Ditto for all private security guards. It’s hard to know who is who with so many layers of cops.

I bet this would stop MOST of the crime in the city in one day. If the city does not have the budget for the cards, ask for donations from long-time American residents, who, like Jeff Coates, are sick and tired of being hit with scams to get our money in inappropriate and often illegal ways.

Jeff shared with me a term he coined for this preying on Americans, and I think it’s perfect: MEXICUTION.

I’ll check to see what mail and news have come in since early yesterday afternoon before getting to Gratitude.

Thank you.

No comments: