Monday, November 1, 2010

Announcing Tennessee Williams Festival in Puerto Vallarta

No one knows better than I, how important tomorrow’s election is in the United States of America. A constant barrage of disinformation, lead primarily by Fox News and associated interests of Rupert Murdock, has clouded the picture. Clouds created with pretzel logic and motivated by addiction to money, power and drugs (Rush Limbaugh, et al).

I’ll be watching at Que Pasa bar here in Puerto Vallarta with many other ex-pats. Regardless the outcome, the evidence I have given three of President Obama’s top aides, the FBI, and various levels of the Mexican government – as well as that given by an army of others – will sink the cancerous Bush/Cheney/Palin/Gingrich/Hannity/Beck branch of the GOP. Those aligned with patriots (such as Sen. Richard Lugar, trustee of my alma mater, Denison University) and in the tradition of Republican Presidents Abraham Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, and Dwight Eisenhower will bring the Grand Old Party back to sanity and integrity.

And I’d like to remind my gentle readers that the CBS News producer who worked with Walter Cronkite the last 12 years of his anchor career and now works occasionally for 60 Minutes, was recently introduced to me by some of my Kenan relatives and has been fact-checking this blog for two weeks now. What – and when – they end up reporting any of it is completely out of my hands.

Meanwhile, here is the info I just sent Puerto Vallarta's top events site for an announcement. I ran into the owners of it last night while celebrating Halloween:


From:scotke@yahoo.com
To:events@pvscene.com
Cc:scotke@yahoo.com; larryf; tom@tomhouck.com; 60m@cbsnews.com; gloriapalacios

I spoke last night with Larry Friedland and (presumably), his wife on the Malacon. They asked me to send info on my project to post to events:

I am Scott Kenan, the last significant assistant to Tennessee Williams, and I am planning a 100th birthday celebration of the life and work of TW, to be held here in Puerto Vallarta the weekend of March 17-20, 2011. This will be a week before his actual birthday, as I don´t want to conflict with the New Orleans Williams Festival that falls on the actual date.

So far, I have lined up many restaurants (primarily on the island in Rio Cuale), including La Cuiz, Oscars, and River Walk Cafe, La Palapa, the cultural center, Teatro Vallarta, and many others. I am planning to have play productions, showings of Williams films, lectures, and parties (some of which will be free to all), and in fact, word is already out in Hollywood and I have recieved requests from several who want to give presentations.

A gentleman accustomed to taking out celebrities on his 40-foot sloop has agreed to coordinate a flotilla of watercraft to ferry key participants around the bay. I have much experience as a fundraiser, and anticipate having no problems finding financial support for the festival (my relatives own significant interest in the Coca Cola Company and founded two banks that became Bank of America. They inherited almost all of Henry Flagler's fortune), with all profits going to support local arts and culture. Gloria Palacios is working to gain the city's imprimata for some co-marketing, and I have personally delivered several letters and messages to the mayor's office asking for city support.

Tennessee's play, THE NIGHT OF THE IGUANA, put PV on the map. Now we have the opportunity to show the world how to properly celebrate America's most important poet-playwright.

I expect to begin planning in earnest soon, and will seek the help of many locals and ex-pats as planning progresses.

Since I´m 6' 11" tall (2.10 meters) I'm easy to spot in town, and would love to talk with anyone who can help in any way. My own book, WALKING ON GLASS: A MEMOIR OF THE LATER DAYS OF TENNESSEE WILLIAMS, www.walkingonglass.net (previously under contract to be published by Alyson Books this past spring, but NOT published as Alyson ran out of funds and published none of the 30 books they had contracted for this year), should be published at about the same time. It is ready for the typesetter, and has even been edited by TW's own editor, Thomas Keith, formerly of New Directions Press.

I also have a political blog documenting certain problems I have had from the Republican Party and including all my communications with the FBI, three of President Obama's top advisers, and a 60 Minutes producer: scottkenan.blogspot.com .

My Apple laptop was recently stolen, so I have only occcasional access to the internet, a situation that will soon be corrected. In the meantime, my best contact email address is scotke@yahoo.com . My PV cell -- not for the public: 322-xxx-xxxx.

No comments: