Wednesday, February 2, 2011

What hath KENAN wrought?


Pictured: the writer Kenan Malik


Foment in the Middle East for Democracy?


I recently found buried in info on my distant Kenan relatives that not only did they immediately set up many institutions or foundations in Eastern Europe in support of fomenting democracy as soon as the Iron Curtain fell in the early 1990s, but had or have done so across the continents of Africa and parts of Asia.


And what I find interesting in the Arab world (mostly Muslim, and Muhammed was a prophet building on what we would call the Old Testament (Jewish) tradition -- and I think Muslims accept "Jesus" as a prophet as well. Embarrassing that I have not learned more about the actual teachings that our Muslim brothers and sisters believe!), is that my last name, Kenan, is a very popular first name there.


So the Scots-Irish Kenan family could operate under the Kenan name and many would assume they were Muslim bretheren -- or at least Arabs. (Don't know what name(s) they actually operated under, though.)


Who knew?


Some.

No comments: