Thursday, April 21, 2011

Putting It Out to The Universe!!!


Hi Steve,

I think you are right about the significance and the potential for re-examination and celebration of BLUE VELVET as a PR as well as artistic and local-film-business plus. Here are my thoughts about getting funding, and please understand that I am NOT an authority on ANYTHING much in the BUSINESS of theater or film, except some parts of Tennessee Williams’ life and art. With my height, resonant voice, deep command of English and (usually) logic, people often mistake me for an authority. Here in Wilmington, my surname has considerable cache, although I am VERY shirttail related to the powerful Kenans, although it is also true that I have connected with them and I know Tom has helped me INDIRECTLY. I had one phone conversation with him in 1990, and have sent him a few snail-mail letters recently, which he never replied to, however, I DO send email updates of my political activities to John Blades, executive director of the Flagler Museum in Palm Beach (almost wholly supported by Kenan money) www.flaglermuseum.us where Thomas S. Kenan III is the “Secretary” – especially if I mention the powerful branch on my blog – and about every two months, I ask Mr. Blades to let me know if I am embarrassing my distant relatives or offending them, or if they wish me to cease, tone down, etc. He has NEVER written back asking me to do anything.
I actually had a long email conversation with him about a year ago, and he is the first person who (on his own volition!) sent me proof that my emails to him were being changed en route. This is no longer true – to my knowledge anyway. I am getting more and more respect from my adversaries, and having insisted on publicly making my political claims on my blog and in emails, I am too public to be “off-ed” by my adversaries, and they have stopped trying. Over a year ago, one of the top think tanks announced that the polarity of power of information has recently, completely reversed, and while secrecy used to be power, now transparency is – witness how everything is leaked or hacked so enemies get all the secrets anyway. I’d be perfectly happy to have my bank accounts and business published online. I have nothing to hide – not really. And I am in a position to throw “bombs” at “devils” in ways powerful Kenans cannot – due to their social positions.
INSERTED AFTERTHOUGH: I also noticed, a year ago, when I visited and was allowed to browse some of the ancient volumes in the home's book shelf, that the sign over the gate at Liberty Hall that had always stated “HE WHO ENTERS THIS WIDE OPEN GATE NEVER ENTERS TOO EARLY, NEVER LEAVES TOO LATE,” had been removed, and the website for Liberty Hall had been “dumbed down” www.libertyhallnc.org – possible evidence that Republicans had influenced the now-owners of the property, Duplin County Board of Education. Attacking Liberty Hall was more than I could let happen without taking action!!!
Now, the reason I allied myself with at least the values of my distant relatives is that as I uncovered the “Nazi” secrets of my parents (I still believe my sister Jane is a dupe, although it’s possible my other siblings, Mike and Julie were first trapped and then became conscious actors – like my originally-blackmailed father – I remember how my mother especially, but Dad too, always trashed even Dad’s close family, calling them the essence of “trailer trash,” and worse, “Protestants.” They pooh-poohed the wealthy Kenans, and minimized their significance to our national health, which I find has been enormous. And despite all this, my father always referred to, first NCNB, then Bank of America as “that Kenan bank” (meaning HE cared for whatever reason and HAD done some research!), and, years before, when Jane was turned down for admission as an out of state student to UNC Chapel Hill (she was a National Merit scholar, but OOS student standards are/were really high), Dad wrote them and said that after everything the Kenan family had done for UNC, the least they could do was to admit her since she greatly exceeded the standards for in-state admission. She was admitted and got a partial scholarship!
Jane chose UNC because of my father’s pressure. My nephew, Connor, also chose UNC under family pressure. Why? To help my mother hide her swastika-associated activities behind the Kenan name and CEMENT the appearance of a link to the powerful branch that they denied to us existed, but traded on in their Republican Party/Mafia activities. And poor Connor – they had him almost married off to some uber-rich girl from Key Biscayne – Nixon/Bebe Rebozo country! And what broke that up? They blamed it on me – for posting on my blog a very funny story that the ENTIRE family laughed over at the time it happened, and his father (my brother), told it to many. Connor and his best buddy in second grade went in front of the class while the teacher had left the room for a few minutes and gave a pants-down fellatio demonstration! Hey! Kids do crazy things – and it doesn’t mean he’s gay. It means he’s more a smart-ass than is even his uncle. The teacher, walking in on it, panicked and locked him in a janitor’s closet until she quickly realized that might get her in trouble. He got in no real trouble, but it DID flummox a few people for a while. I have GREAT expectations for Connor’s future!!!
Now, I bet any amount of money that NO ONE in Connor’s girlfriend’s circle read or reads my blog – but next thing you know, the relationship is over and Connor is working out in the Freezer Belt (Minneapolis, I think), instead of near Philadelphia, were he had been. He’s become so skittish, he’s stripped nearly all info and photos from his Facebook page. That said, he is the ONLY one of my parents’ descendants who has accepted my friendship request on Facebook. He spent his Junior year in Florence (also my favorite place on earth), studying food and/or art and traveling Europe. He was pressured into working for a pharmaceuticals company (Republicans profit from the legal and illegal over-medication of Americans – to say nothing of keeping everyone too high or disoriented to be logical and see the truth of our National Condition). All those descended from my parents who have jobs work in pharmaceuticals directly, or, like Jane in NC Disability Benefits Determination, indirectly. My parents knew for decades that was the winning place to be – hell, they PROMOTE illegal drug trafficking. And they STILL refuse to explain the stack of $100.00 bills they peel off nonchalantly to give me gas money when I visit them. They claim they get them as a reward benefit from their AARP bank – but I got news for ya: NO bank would pay a cash benefit – and their stack is way too high given their apparent limited resources and frugal lifestyle – banks would give a VISA or MC cash card, so they can lend out the money not yet tapped, pray that the card gets lost, while knowing that few of those cards are ever entirely used up. Many have monthly fees that reduce their value until used up.
Well, I have gotten distracted – and you are dyslexic. Sorry, I’ll get back to my original point. For the hell of it, I might publish this email and even spread it a little.
I suspect that you need either an investor who wants a profit, or a philanthropic financial supporter (Sugar Daddy, LOL!). Maybe you should look for both. I don’t KNOW about this, but I suspect the Kenan organizations support more general efforts (like Cucalorus?). But I also know from what I’ve seen of the college’s they most closely support (e.g.: Flagler College), that they have a fairly conservative attitude. At Flagler, students complain that there’s not even one co-ed dorm, due to the values of the “supporting families”. Googling Frank or Tom Kenan, you would find they have a long history of donating to the Republican Party, although Tom donated to Carolina’s own presidential candidate, Mr. Hair-Grin. More recently, he’s not listed for donating to politicians.
Well, we all make mistakes. My good friend Rafael  Cherry, an artist from Durham whom I dated briefly in the early 1990s and given that he had partied frequently with TSK III, Alan Gurganus, and others in the 80’s, informed me of many things about NC culture – he’s a total blabber-mouth, was a close friend of Elizabeth Edwards. During John Edwards’ first presidential run, he was unable to resist her asking him to produce campaign art. He’s damn good, and maybe he would be of assistance to you and/or your documentary, musical BLUE VELVET, or Cucalorus Film Festival. He adores the bizarre , AND he still actually speaks to me, despite being a Sewanee alum. HA!
Well, I start my arborist assistant’s job in an hour and must convince the power and gas companies I will have money for them soon, and not to cut me off, first. (Don’t worry, I ALWAYS win.)
I hope all this is somehow helpful. I KNOW you are on the right track, but I cannot ask my distant relatives to assist you, and although some might be interested (probably in a quiet or anonymous way), I recommend you go through your own natural connection – those folks in Raleigh. Be a tad aggressive – we ALL must ask – if we wish to be given.
Scott
From: Steven C. Fox
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:51 PM
To: 'Scott Kenan'
Subject: RE: Kenan Family support going toward the Arts, especially. Your musical version or documentary about the movie BLUE VELVET? Who knows!
What I was thinking was, with limited time available how might we get them engaged in this Blue Velvet event. I think there’s a very legitimate argument to be made that this could be an important public relations event for the state. Re-associating ourselves with this film could very positively impact the future of the production industry in this state.
From: Scott Kenan [mailto:scottdkenan@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 11:39 AM
To: 'Steven C. Fox'
Subject: New: Kenan Family support going toward the Arts, especially. Your musical version or documentary about the movie BLUE VELVET? Who knows!
I did a LOT of research and found that not only did the Kenans inherit Henry Flagler’s portion of Standard Oil (Flagler, his 1st father-n-law, and Rockefeller each owned 1/3) and all the Florida ventures: utility companies, railroads, steamship companies, luxury hotel chain, land sales companies, etc., TKS III’s father Frank Hawkins Kenan inherited controlling interest in Coca Cola and C&S Bank, which grew to be 1st Atlanta, and then merging with Kenan-founded UNCB, became NationsBank, then Bank of America. Because stocks are split among dozens of Charitable Trusts, many with not-Kenan married-in names, like Wise, Graham, Lewis, Rand, etc., none show too high in overall ownership, but in aggregate, they probably still control these companies – as well as the derivatives of Standard Oil.
These Kenans are very cagey, and while their trusts remain (taken together) the largest private support of university education in the world, they have also founded institutions around the world in support of Ethics as well as ones supporting Democracy (the later, especially across Africa, the Middle East, and Latin America, as well as portions of Asia.
It’s absolutely extraordinary. Generally, they live quiet, inconspicuous lives in not-too-grand homes, although the first generation of heirs lived in marble palaces. Their phones are listed (although it’s hard to get info on their foundations except mailing addresses).
I actually believe that they are in aggregate the second wealthiest family on earth after the Saudi Royals, who own the bulk of the second-ever oil cartel, Standard Oil (which controlled 90% of US oil business – which its derivatives mostly still control – as well as much business OUTSIDE the US), being the first. At least they are good stewards of the money!!! Many amateur Kenan researchers in town have agreed with me on this.
I’m just glad that Tom (TSK III) is friendly to me – and sent 60 MINUTES to Puerto Vallarta to interview me, using descendants of my great-great grandmother to flag me down on the street (due to my height) to introduce us!!!
Scott
From: Steven C. Fox
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 11:08 AM
To: 'Scott Kenan'
Subject: RE: My manuscript: WALKING ON GLASS: A MEMOIR OF THE LATER DAYS OF TENNESSEE WILLIAMS
This is interesting. I’m going to educate myself a bit on this. Thanks Scott, Steve
From: Scott Kenan [mailto:scottdkenan@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 10:45 AM
To: 'Steven C. Fox'
Subject: RE: My manuscript: WALKING ON GLASS: A MEMOIR OF THE LATER DAYS OF TENNESSEE WILLIAMS
I had meant to send you a link to this YouTube video of Thomas S Kenan III, at the dedication of a new building at UNC Chapel Hill. He talks about the new arts direction for the William R. Kenan Jr. Memorial Trust – the granddaddy of Kenan Trusts, and the largest in support for education. Now to be directed to support performing arts!!!
Yeah, I’ve been looking forward to Republican debates too! I think no “enhancements” will be necessary! HA!
Scott
From: Steven C. Fox
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 10:35 AM
To: 'Scott Kenan'
Subject: RE: My manuscript: WALKING ON GLASS: A MEMOIR OF THE LATER DAYS OF TENNESSEE WILLIAMS
I wouldn’t worry about Newt. Actually I think it would be kind of fun if Newt were to get the republican nomination. He might finally come to understand what the general population in this country thinks of him. And boy am I looking forward to the 2012 republican debates. What a laughable pack of freaks that’s going to be. A cornucopia of crazy. I’m going to record and cherish every moment. It would be fun to CGI clown features on each candidate and put in a laugh track. I can almost see it now.
Steve
From: Scott Kenan [mailto:scottdkenan@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 9:26 AM
To: 'Steven C. Fox'
Subject: RE: My manuscript: WALKING ON GLASS: A MEMOIR OF THE LATER DAYS OF TENNESSEE WILLIAMS
Well, I understand the difficulties dyslexic people have, and in my experience (not that I have it), dyslexic people have special gifts – usually dismissed by the herd of Muggles (Harry Potter book reference to thoughtless people).
When in orientation classes at First Prez (Presbyterian Church), as they like to refer to their congregation, a Mr. Boney and others all talked about Kenans having given the church this and that, and they always spoke as if Kenans were mythological – like the gods on Olympus! I have also found that there are many amateur Kenan-history researchers in ILM, and they too act this way. Being, in fact – if not always in appearance – quite down-to-earth, I get quite a kick out of this, but I ALWAYS point out I’m only shirttail related, but that doesn’t stop them from treating me with a sort of deference that I’ve not (or at least not yet) earned.
I did a little research in the Chapel Hill/Durham phone book this morning, and find that the top Kenans listed are, besides Tom, his stepmother, Betty and his half-sister, Betty, as well as about eight others. There is also a Sterling Kenan, who has an interior design firm, but she is too young to be in the 1967 edition of THE KENAN FAMILY, which I have. Drug mafia in Mexico stole my copy of the 2000 update published by Mercer University Press, so I don’t know her relationship. Tom, Betty, Betty, and Sterling all have phones listed at Figure Eight Island addresses, as well. Those are the serious ones.
I re-published a scan of my notes to Newt Gingrich about drug trafficking through Stone Mountain Park, GA in 1990 on my blog this morning. I want to sink his ass as a viable Republican candidate, although he does well enough on his own. At that time, I did not realized he was in charge of the operation – and in cahoots with my mother. See: scottkenan.blogspot.com .
Scott
From: Steven C. Fox
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 12:15 PM
To: 'Scott Kenan'
Subject: RE: My manuscript: WALKING ON GLASS: A MEMOIR OF THE LATER DAYS OF TENNESSEE WILLIAMS
Hello Scott
It was a pleasure meeting you. You said two things that pricked up my ears, serendipity and Kenan. And you are clearly quick to catch the lay of the land. Beyond sitting in a few of their auditoriums here and there I’ve never had a brush with any of the Kenans. While having my second meeting with (specifics deleted for this blog) , So-n-so said something about how other So-n-so was telling so and so Kenan about this 25th anniversary Blue Velvet thing at dinner the other night. The ‘so and so’ was female but I can’t recall the name. If it was intended to make an impression, it did, I thought ’well that’s high cotton, good for you Bernie’.
Anyway, the point here, I have made a conscious effort to allow this project to follow the path of any serendipitous events that came along. I have no formal religion but I do feel there are forces in the world which shape our paths which I’m incapable of understanding, but they’re there somehow stirring events. And something you said here also strikes the chord of a major theme in this affair. The future of this area as a media production hub. We’re an odd sort of place to have been, for 15 years or so, the third largest movie producing town behind LA and New York. That’s just plane strange, no way around it. We’re a gathering force. People are drawn here, interesting people, creative people, very nice people. We’re going to have a voice in this world and this whole Blue Velvet business is in service to that eventuality. That’s honestly what I believe. I have taken a long look at the fans of this film. They are the creative and artistic folks of the world. They’re the avant garde and independent film makers. And by reestablishing our association to this film we’re going to attract some of them here. And when you come to Wilmington, Wilmington might not let you leave. Here you are. And now you’re involved. Now we just have to figure out what part you’re supposed to play.
I’m sending you a friend request through Facebook and I’ll send you a link to the facebook page for the documentary. We don’t have a page for the celebration per se as yet. Hopefully I’ll be getting to that soon.
Just a note, I’m dyslexic and a horribly slow reader, I rarely read for pleasure so don’t be looking for any feedback on the manuscript soon. But I’m looking forward to reading it. Thanks for sending it. Oh by the way. It just occurred to me. I’m sure you know this but, some people are publishing exclusively online these days. My dad just got a Kindle and he loves it. He’s a veracious reader and he’s down loading everything now.
Once again, pleasure to meet you and I’m sure I’ll see you soon.
Steve Fox
From: Scott Kenan [mailto:scottdkenan@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:14 AM
To: sfox@ec.rr.com
Subject: My manuscript: WALKING ON GLASS: A MEMOIR OF THE LATER DAYS OF TENNESSEE WILLIAMS
Good morning Steve!
Great meeting you last night, and having a chance to speak with people who care about and are committed to making Wilmington a better place. Some day, it would be great to learn more about the foundation the gentleman who bought me the beer runs, and once I get some kind of money-machine rolling, it is exactly the kind of thing I’d like to support. In the meantime, I’d like to know more about Cucalorus, and some of the things you do to promote the film industry here. It seems like such a perfect industry for Wilmington, and although I know so little about it so far, I’d like to grow into some kind of role where I might help with this kind of effort. I get the feeling that despite the significant history of film in Wilmington, there is no real cementing of the industry to the city.
I really had little idea before I got into so much political peculiarity just over a year ago, how influential my very distant relatives have been in education, promotion of democracy, and the arts (or how much wealth they rather secretly actually control) – or, therefore, how attention-getting my last name is, at least in S.E. NC. That, with my 6’ 11” height, resonant voice and deep command of English -- as well as having been the only actually significant assistant in Tennessee Williams his last 20 years (maybe longer), my well received book (although not yet actually published), and my political tales (which are not yet completely sorted out for truth, but make an incredible story – which I WILL write and publish even if I have to fictionalize much or all of it) could be a strong foundation for effective lobbying, at least informally. Eventually.
Anyway, I’ve attached my manuscript. My websites, most needing updating. You can see I was given an exaggerated idea of Shaun’s format, but YouTube can be powerful – if Shaun calms down a little and doesn’t keep distracting with BS from his meat.
scottkenan. Blogspot.com
Scott

No comments: