Thursday, July 12, 2012

In Appreciation of First Presbyterian Church, Wilmington, NC


>>> LETTER TO MY "DISCOVERY CLASS" AT FIRST PREZ:


Hey Y'all,

I have wanted to write you all for SO LONG, but only tonight have found time and desire-memory intersecting auspiciously. I'm including Pete Brown because of the somewhat startling-to-him conversation we once had privately, in which he was amazed to discover that I am actually quite reasonable and easy to talk to (unlike so many of my blog posts, etc., which take on various WRITERLY tones FOR EFFECT, but are NOT the voice of this writer, really).

And before I go further (without mentioning names), I'd like to thank both the individual and the couple in these addresses who so very kindly opened their wallets and gave me some cash when I needed it most. You know who you are and if you ever get to Puerto Vallarta, I PROMISE to show you some of the BEST things about this part of Mexico (sex NOT included).

While I'm on THAT subject, I would only like to ALSO say that it is the example of SO MANY fine people in the congregation, but especially in our class, who are truly LOVING heterosexual couples that I keep in mind when I am tempted to believe that ALL heterosexual couplings are devil-induced (to hide the man's bi- or homo-sexual leanings), and manifestations of MENTAL ILLNESS.

Truth is that I have ALWAYS gotten along best with completely straight or completely gay people -- it is the pretenders somewhere in between who are so difficult, and really, gay people often disgust me with their "woe is me, I'm a poor, discriminated-against gay person" baggage. Just do it and do it proudly without giving a dang about anyone else's opinion -- AS LONG AS YOU HARM NO ONE.

I have a few things to say about most of you who participated often in our beautifully honest and respectful discussions -- but first, I want to address something that is not finished to me: Careful consideration of a comment made early on by Nancy Carnegie, that at the time, I think NONE of us (including her) understood completely. In a discussion in which everyone else enthusiastically endorsed giving every endeavor and dream-pursuit one's EVERY EFFORT, Nancy said that sometimes one "settles" and we all had a problem with that -- but left her in peace after a few minutes.

That whole thing has stuck HARD in my craw ever since, and I finally came to realize that Nancy was not talking about settling for less than one's dreams without first TRYING your best to achieve them -- she meant that sometimes you decide something "less glamorous" is your REAL desire (everyone in class except she and I had been once a top executive of FORTUNE 500 companies -- or the town's top architect, doctor-in-his-specialty, etc. -- OK, there was also the woman who was of a SERIOUSLY DIVIDED mind -- choir or class -- and never seemed fully tuned to class). Nancy was RIGHT -- and her life is living proof of it!!!

Mr. Perdew early on knocked me for a loop when he piped up once with a comment about things "bathed in the blood of Jesus", but I later realized that he valued Jesus's teachings over his -- shall we say -- "blood story", and also I LOVED watching a man in his mid-90s working the keypad of his smart phone faster than a hepped-up, pimply teenager!!! (but not during class). And his smile and laughter were THE BEST.

Charlie Boney, whose family has been allied with mine for generations -- although I didn't yet know this while in class (and I also loved his charming wife whom I met outside of class), wins the Cool, Subtle Wit Award (which I KNEW he would when I noticed his penchant for bow ties). I just loved the way he consternated over some subjects until he found his understanding. We ALL did that, but Charlie was so charming to observe. I also had the BEST TIME finding that incredible "letter n a bottle" in the crook of the arm of the Confederate Soldier in what I still like to think of as "Charlie Boney's statue".

Did you all know that there is a Wikipedia article on Charlie's statue??? It is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_Memorial_(Wilmington,_North_Carolina) . I always stopped to salute that statue, and when I read the inscription, I wept each time. You see, I was brought up by a Yankee Republican Suburbanite (although I nearly always voted Democratic), and BY THE GRACE OF GOD, when I first visited Wilmington at the age of six weeks, my Dad's best friend from growing up, Odell Balkcum (sp?), presumably of the Used-Car Balkcums, gave me a teaspoon of bourbon (probably really just a drop on my six-week old lips -- although even then I was over-sized and might-could have handled a teaspoon (I DO still hold likker well) so that I WOULDN'T TURN YANKEE. And it WORKED, praise JESUS!!!

Here is a link to my blog post documenting the finding of that letter -- and it includes the text of that letter: http://scottkenan.blogspot.mx/2011/12/message-in-bottle-literally.html .

Initially, I had a significant political disagreement out of class with Dennis Decker's daughter (who for the longest time I mistakenly thought was his young wife). I had assumed Dennis was as aggressive as she in his own political views -- quite different from mine (which actually, he never stated). But later I found Dennis to be one of the most brave in his telling of the loss of his wife -- and HE ESPECIALLY made me understand the sacredess of many heterosexual marriages and love.

I suppose I felt most comfortable with the Orlandos -- they had (or at least Linda had) studied like me in Science of Mind (aka Religious Science) at the Mile High congegation in Denver -- one of the LARGEST SoM congregations . . . .   AND AS SOON AS I TYPED THAT THE HACKERS WHO STILL HOUND ME CONSTANTLY caused my computer to TOTALLY FREEZE, but luckily I had just saved this draft and so nothing was lost when I rebooted the computer. But I'd better wrap here quickly before they come on stronger.

Anyway, I also want to thank Dr. Stanley for the free exam and dental x-rays. Right after that, Ernie and I had our political falling-out, and I was afraid to follow through -- or contact ANYONE at First Prez (except by showering everyone endlessly with my emails of blog posts -- hope you all didn't/don't mind too much).

Also, I STILL think that Presbyterianism is the best form of organized Christianity that I've encountered, but know that many of my distant wealthy and powerful relatives BOLTED PRESBYTERIANISM EN MASS FOR THE EPISCOPAL CHURCH -- the aftermath of First Prez allowing William R. Kenan, SENIOR to hide as an Elder while fommenting the 1898 Wimington Race Riot, which DIRECTLY emboldened legislatures across the South to pass all the Jim Crow Laws. Yes, this shame, TOO, is on the heads of the Kenan Family (and First Presbyterian). His chidren endowed First Prez in their parents' honor, even as they FLED such a racist congregation.

Today, the powerful Kenans are rethinking their spiritual allegiances. Please see: http://scottkenan.blogspot.mx/2012/07/cutting-devils-throat.html .

I pray that First Prez some day accepts non-white members LOVINGLY -- like True Christians would -- and BET that my former classmates have something to do with a rebirth of LOVE in the general congregation.

And remember me (if at all) by the quip I told y'all after finding it on a website about Presbyterians: "Whenever there are four Presbyterians gathered, there's ALWAYS a fifth!"

With all best wishes and great love,
Scott


>>> LATER I ADDED A TRIBUTE TO FRED FROM THE DISCOVERY CLASS.

See: http://scottkenan.blogspot.mx/2012/07/can-we-fly-now.html




Thinking of FRED, I googled for an image of "republican turned democrat", and although Arlen Specter came up first, I prefer to look at Olympia Snow -- EVEN THOUGH I'M A HOMO!!!

(and for more than one reason)

.

.

No comments: