Thursday, September 6, 2012

Smiling SCOTT'S IRISH!!!

>>> From here:




http://www.wral.com/news/state/nccapitol/story/11510021/ .


Kennedy Foundation honored WILMINGTON, NC delegate for standing up to GOP

Click here to find out more!

Elizabeth Redenbaugh with Caroline Kennedy
Elizabeth Redenbaugh with Caroline Kennedy

Share
10
6
Twitter
4
0
e-mail print friendly


One of the North Carolina delegates who nominated President Barack Obama on Wednesday night at the Democratic National Convention for re-election was in a very different position when Obama was nominated for his first term four years ago.


Elizabeth Redenbaugh was elected to the New Hanover County Board of Education in 2008 as a Republican. The attorney and mother of three had campaigned on a platform of diversity in Wilmington's schools, but once in office, her Republican colleagues pushed for a neighborhood schools system at the expense of diversity.


When Redenbaugh refused to go along with it, she was yelled at, threatened by angry parents and ridiculed by her own party. The local newspaper published an editorial using her own words, and her world exploded.


"I had stood up to racial segregation in our schools, and I made a lot of people angry," she said. "I got to see the underbelly of our local Republican Party."


In the end, she voted with the Democrats on the school board.


"It was awful, really," she said. "I thought, 'Oh my gosh, if you have segregated schools, there is no dignity, no value and no respect whatsoever. That was a big push for me."


After voting with Democrats, Redenbaugh became one. She had been a Republican for 26 years before that.


Then, a Democrat with a famous name gave her a call one afternoon.


"She said, 'Hey, Elizabeth. It's Caroline Kennedy," Redenbaugh said.


Kennedy called to tell Redenbaugh she had won a 2011 John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Award. The Kennedy Foundation had selected her not because of the party switch but for her courage to stand against the tide, absorb the hate and vitriol that came her way and keep turning the other cheek.


"I got off the phone and went to YouTube and pulled up an interview with Caroline Kennedy to make sure the voice I heard was the same voice as on the phone," she said.


It took a call to her best friend before she realized it wasn't a hoax.


"I'm telling her about it, and she said, 'I'd really think you were making this up except for the fact that you're so nervous I can hear your earring hitting the phone," she said with a laugh.


Redenbaugh shared the Boston stage at the awards ceremony with Wael Ghorim, the young Egyptian who, through social media, started what led to the revolution last year that ousted that country's president, Hosni Mubarak.


Caroline Kennedy praised Redenbaugh with a quote from her late father: "One person of courage makes a majority."


"It still hasn't (sunk in)," Redenbaugh said of all the changes she's been through. "It really hasn't."
 
 
CLICK IMAGE (please). The FUNNIEST co-incident yet!!! I was only trying to see if I could find a graphic combining Kenan and Kennedy, so image-googled for that -- and THIS came up first.
 
 
 
1. I liked the "Archer" in the name -- as I think of myself as being a bit of an archer.
 
2. Then I noticed that she was born in North Carolina!!!
 
3. The info was provided to the website by a "William Kenan" (same name as my own father).
 
4. BUT WAIT!!!: She DIED on my father's EXACT 33 BIRTHDAY!!!
 
5. And THAT means that it being only about TWO MONTHS before my OWN birth, if I was LATE jumping into my fetus, I COULD BE SHE (awkward, but correct, grammar), RECYCLED (or whatever . . . )!!!
 
 
Well. it's a FUN THOUGHT, but ya can't take a thing like that TO THE BANK!!!
 
 
 
UBER-LOL!!!
 
 
 
Scott
 
 

No comments: