Thursday, January 29, 2015

RP: FAR More Pleasant Findings in the Email Bag This Morning -- Can We KEEP IT UP???

RE-PRINTED from herehttp://theweathercontinues.blogspot.mx/2015/01/far-more-pleasant-findings-in-email-bag.html




Harvey Korman doesn't LOOK black to me, but then neither do I  -- and Tennessee Williams based the tall, silent, observing black character Mac on me in his last (unfinished), full-length play, In Masks Outrageous and Austere.



Due to a combination of old age and low oxygen in the stratosphere where my head is, only LATER did I think to post the "set-up" -- and on reminder by my email correspondent -- LOL!!!:



Press Release

New Musical About Tennessee 

Williams Debuts at Arena Stage in 

Kogod Cradle Series


A House of Glass runs February 5th through 8th, 2015 as part of Arena Stage's Kogod Cradle Series. The musical is directed by Matt Cowart, book and lyrics by Shelley Herman Gillon and Harriet McFaul Pilger, and music written by Paul Leavitt.

A House of Glass explores the transformation of shy, diffident Thomas Lanier Williams into Tennessee Williams - genius, addict, icon and iconoclast - and the demons that drove him, the angels that guided him. The time of the play spans the great arc of the writer's life, beginning in 1918, when Williams is seven years old, to 1981, two years before Williams' death, at the age of seventy-two, in 1983.

This musical play about the life of Tennessee Williams---the complex, driven, flamboyant and prolific genius who created many of the seminal works of the American stage and screen---explores his family archetypes, his agent and his longtime companion and how they gave rise to his indelible characters. A House of Glass also examines his sexual compulsion, his long, hard slide into addiction and his redemption through the power of his work.

The music, composed by Paul Leavitt, covers a wide range in the American canon, from ballads, ragtime, Dixieland, rhythm & blues and full-on Broadway musical numbers.
Read morehttp://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/2452918#ixzz3QEmlAJqN


* * *


Sir:

It is with the greatest love and respect that I cherish communication with my readers that shows clear evidence of smarts or smartassiness, so I THANK YOU for this!!!

My response:

1. Great idea, but I'm sure Carol Burnett must have done this -- or could do it now. Perhaps this proves that Harvey Korman was black.

2. My fave since it has that tropical aspect, and I know ALL about threatening natives in the tropics!!!

3. Now, the problem here is I remember NOTHING about Milktrain, however, I love the cast. I doubt I've ever told you or my readers that other than Roy Rogers and Dale Evans often dropping in next door at Roy's cousin's house and dressing up in character to entertain us neighborhood kids (1953 - 1956 when I was 2.5 until just 6 at our Ebeneezer Road house in Cincinnati), I had a complete DROUGHT of knowing celebrities, until in the 1970s right after I came out of seeing Equus and I went to wait at the stage door to see whom I could meet, Anthony Perkins barreled out the door hunched over against the cold and wind and head-butted me without winding me. He mumbled "Sorry!" and sped on his way. NOT really a meeting, per se.



Also, I did go to NYC in spring of 1973 with my then boyfriend Jeff Work from Denison, we stayed in his ex-girlfriend's intern-employee digs while they were all out of town. Just happened to be Jill Krementz's place (walls covered with celebrity photos -- especially of the Beatles), where she lived with Kurt Vonnegutt, whose farm house near Clifton Park/Elnora. Now, Jeff and I DID go to the Continental Baths and to see Bette Midler. There Jeff pointed out Rex Reed dancing between two "Jungle Bunnies" -- effeminate, pudgy black guys dressed only in one white diaper, each. When I met Rex Reed at the TW-NOLF in the mid-oughts, I did NOT bring up this story, PROVING I DO know how to behave!!!




I had always admired Vonnegut's farm house -- even before I learned it was his, it being quite near my parents house at 5 Granada Drive (the biggest we ever lived in), and we moved there after my freshman year, then on to Peabody, MA for only nine months in the first house that had actual character, before they landed in East Greenwich, RI for my senior year and a few years beyond, before they moved back to West Chester, PA. I felt SO SORRY for Mike and Julie, especially for all the uprooting while they were in public schools!!!

But astute readers will remember that Jeff Work is someone I have in the past speculated Mom had killed. Via a Denison magazine a year ago, I learned that Jeff had died of unspecified causes in Germany -- Berlin -- where he was an "artist (painter, still, I presume), and teacher of artists".

ADDITIONALS:



A. This morning, the graphic of a play named Dunsinane (opening soon in Washington, DC), has been ALL OVER my internet, although I had not heard of it before -- and yesterday, I made a big deal of "Birnam Wood Done Come to Dunsinane" (and that blog posting has been hit like crazy, since then). What an impressive address that was, and my parents paid $19,999.00 for that house which had all hardwood floors, four bedrooms, 2.5 baths, our first actual dining room (where Jane embarrassed me in 7th grade announcing at dinner that I liked to play with boys, only, in the "Doctors" game we played several years before), our first ever basement (full), a play room and a den that Mom's Dad moved into for a couple of years until he died while on an extended visit to my uncles in Indiana (to help calm Mom's nerves).



In 1968, we move -- quite suddenly, Bob Jones already had permission to go on a family camping vacation with us to at least as far West as Yellowstone Park, but it was cancelled due to the move, and we ended up living across the street from, then, Assistant Coach at Ohio State, Lou Holtz and his NOT toilet-trained grade-school kids -- NOT AS IMPRESSIVE AN ADDRESS on Larwell Drive (and the house was much smaller and more expensive to boot!!!)

B. And this just in from the TW "NOLF", as it is now being called:


Tennessee Williams/New Orleans Literary Festival29 Jan 2015
Dear Friends and All Access Ticket Holders - 

We at the Tennessee Williams/New Orleans Literary Festival are pleased to announce that the 2015 Program will be LIVE online at tennesseewilliams.net in the coming days. Since you are one of our patrons and supporters we wanted to give you a sneak peak of the shopping cart. As a Friend of Tennessee or All Access Ticket holder you will be able to make your reservations for events using your Membership ID. 
TICKETS AND SHOPPING CART INFORMATION HERE
We look forward to seeing you at the 29th annual Festival, March 25-29th! 


Scott

.
On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 9:18 AM, and Anonymous "Smarty" wrote:

Thanks for the warning. "A House of Glass" is a dull title, as is "Tom to Tenn," the underlying play. No participant has encouraging credentials. The book and songs need wild creativity, but likely there will be slogging thru the bio.

In my playwriting fantasies I've thrice had detailed thoughts, even notetaking, about TW:

(1) "A Streetcar Named Gone With The Wind," in which the female lead is Vivienleighish, and the male lead is a New York educated black.

(2) "Casitablanca," in which characters reminiscent of Blanche, Stanley, and Stella collide, on an uncharted tropical isle with a threatening native population.

(3) Play based on troubled production of "Milktrain," including Tallulah, Tab Hunter, TW, Tony Richardson--AND Rose Williams and Tony Perkins.

A.S.


>>> AND I'M SURPRISED, that Thomas Keith is not listed as a presenter this year. I hope he attends anyway, as I DO NOT BEAR GRUDGES and I THANK HIM for his contributions to my "harrowing recent-life story" -- REALLY!!!


Holy Crapola -- look who will be at The Tennessee Williams/New Orleans Literary Festival in March that I will attend: Jim Grimsley from my old stomping ground of Decatur, GA -- and his new book coming out is about the integration of his school in EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA!!!



Jim Grimsley is a novelist and playwright who lives in Decatur, Georgia, and who teaches creative writing at Emory University. He is the author of the novels Winter Birds, Dream Boy, and Comfort and Joy, and has won numerous distinctions and awards for his work, including the Academy Award in Litera…
TENNESSEEWILLIAMS.NET
Like ·  · 






Scott


.

No comments: