Saturday, March 20, 2010

Letter to American Express



Dear Mr. or Ms. Sanyal:

Regardless how much or little of my situation you are personally or professionally allowed to know, your company has become abusive of me. Unfortunately, I allowed that to get to me this morning, when a representative of your company called, and, seeming to have only SELECTED facts about my situation available to her (as I also suspect is the situation you are in), she was unaware of many details I had given American Express by phone and email. I can't imagine how she could have been expected to work out a solution with me that would have been a win for us both. All she accomplished was to push me beyond my limit of human patience and I became verbally abusive. I apologize for that. The behavior of your company is no excuse for me to stoop to your (your company's) depths.

I am "on vacation" in Puerto Vallarta and returning to the States Sunday. I no longer expect to bother trying to make the deadline we agreed on before I left the country after an officer in the US Army threatened to beat me severely at a meeting of the Oxford University United Kingdom Universal Book Club in metro Atlanta. When operatives of the Republican Party attack me at book club meetings, things have gone too far for me to be safe in the US, and I took the earliest flight out of the country. I suspect that after the Health Care bill passes the House this Sunday, Republican politicians will be too busy "cannibalizing" each other to bother with me anymore. In any case, my political work to "emasculate" the traitors will have already been successful, and there will no longer be any point to it or anyone's harassment of me.

It is with deep sorrow that I have had to accept that American Express (like Citi) is a major player in the attempted destruction of the United States of America.The evident proof to you and me of this is either you have no access to all the facts I have made your company aware of (and yes, they do seem too far-fetched to be true, but that does not invalidate them), or you (and other Amex reps) are not allowed to let them influence you as we attempt to find a win-win resolution to my temporary inability to pay my bill.

I still have not decided how to deal with your company. It seems to me that we now stand at a place where either I am/have been severely manic (bipolar: I do have a diagnosis), or your company is a traitor to the USA. Neither of these two options bodes well for your getting any money out of me.

That said (written), I still maintain that I am responsible for every charge I ever made on your card, and I would prefer to pay you everything I owe. But I will not do so (begin to do so) until you give me some believable report of how we got to this "misunderstanding." I suspect a compromise will be reached in which my credit reports are not adversely affected and I agree to pay some portion of what I owe you. There are consequences both to using credit cards and to abusing customers.

I will accept communications from your company by email or snail mail only. Please be advised that John Blades, Exec. Dir. of the Flagler Museum in Palm Beach, a major philanthropy of my distant Kenan relatives, has been most helpful to me by proving and helping me save proof that my adversaries are quite successful in changing the content of my email while it is in transit. Therefore, I require that email be used for speed, but followed by the exact same communication via snail mail so that if changes do occur, there will be a hard-copy for comparison. It was, after all, Ronald Reagan who said "Trust, but verify."

Thank you for your time and consideration. I feel we will now be able to reach a mutually acceptable resolution to this ongoing dilemma.

Scott D. Kenan

No comments: