Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Letter to Mexican Landlady

10 August 2010

Dear Land Lady,

In regard to the rent for my apartment on Calle Vienna near Roma in Versalles, Puerto Vallata, Mexico, which is directly above the one your husband and son tell me they live in ( I have only met your husband and son yesterday. I met you at a house near the street market on the north side of the Tunel highway). I paid you the Mexican pesos equivalent of $700.00 USD for an apartment for Cornelio Prada Diaz in Zona Romantica. (I have the exact address of that apartment in my records and can give it to you if you need me to) $350.00 USD for a month rent and $350.00 USD for damage deposit. I believe I also have the receipt for the money which you gave me at the time.

Cornelio moved (or said he moved) into this apartment right away. I was to join him when I moved here. In early June, Cornelio, who had traveled to Puerto Vallarta for a couple of days, claimed to me that you had raised the rent there by $200.00 USD per month, but that he had made a deal with you, and you let us have this apartment on Calle Vienna for $350.00/month so that we would not have to pay the huge increase. I gave him $700.00 USD cash and he said he wired it all to you on 15 June, 2010 to cover the next two months. He told me that the due day for rent was the 15th of each month.

Later, he brought me here and claimed he had to go immediately to Guadalajara to work for his boss managing a bar there. I later learned that he is a criminal wanted by the police in many states in Mexico for selling large quantities of illegal drugs. I got confirmation of this last night from the manager of Hotel Mercurio in Zona Romantica as well as the police. Cornelio had to get out of town at night before he was discovered. He is wanted for VERY serious crimes. I know I will never see or hear from him again.

He completely fooled me, and stole a total of $15,000.00 USD from me over a period of several months. I was stupid. I have no more savings because of what he stole, but I do have some money now from taking my new HDTV to the pawn shop. I will get more money soon because of other income that I expect. I believe that you and your family are honorable people and so am I. We have all been used by a criminal.

I was surprised that you said the rent here is actually $2200.00 pesos/month (about $200.00 USD). Since I paid $700.00 USD for 15 June - 15 August and the rent was actually $400.00 USD, I would like to know where the money went. If you have a receipt for his paying you only $400.00 USD, we will need to take it to the police to prove another of Cornelio’s crimes. I have already told the US Consulate here and they are cooperating with the Mexican government. Cornelio has been involved in crimes that affect both our great countries, and both of our governments want to solve his crimes, arrest Cornelio, and take him to trial as soon as possible.

If you do not have a receipt or cannot find it, then perhaps we should share the burden of Cornelio’s crime and split the difference. In other words, split the loss of the $300.00 USD and act as if I have already paid you only half of it, or $150.00 USD. Then I would still owe you a balance of $50.00 USD rent for this month, and could pay it in full immediately.

If we do go to the police, I will be sure to tell them that I believe you had NOTHING to do with this crime and did not know Cornelio was an international narcotics-criminal. But I must also tell you that I can only pay you $100.00 USD rent now, but will pay the rest in a week, when I expect I will receive more money.

Please know that I only want to do what is fair to you and me, obey the laws of Mexico, and that you agree to. If you have a different idea that is fair to both of us, please tell me and I will give it honest consideration. Crime is Mexico involving drugs affects both Mexicans and Americans, and our governments are very eager to stop it. I have an appointment at the US Consulate in Nuevo Vallarta Thursday morning, but would be happy to meet with you almost any other time. I think I must insist that I speak to you, the actual lady I met when Cornelio and I first rented the other property to be certain I know I am speaking to the same person when I file my report with the US and Mexican Governments about this crime of Cornelio’s. It would be good if your husband who speaks good enough English is there also to translate.

Also, the roof here leaks very bad in the first and middle rooms and ruined an expensive piece of audio equipment that I owned. I just threw it out, not knowing if i could ask you to pay for it or not under Mexican law. Let’s act as if that did not happen, but I do believe the roof should be repaired IMMEDIATELY. If fact, if you have roof tar and tools, I will be happy to do the labor for free. It is the rainy season and when most of two rooms are unusable because of leaks, it is an impossible situation.

I hope you can understand my point of view and that we can talk as soon as possible and I can pay you some money!

Thank you very much!

Please slip a note through the door crack if you do not find me at home, telling me what time would be good (but not Thursday morning when I must go to the US Consulate). If it is raining or rained recently, be sure to use an ink that does not bleed when wet. The area of floor in front of the door is always very wet when it rains.

Sincerely,



Scott D. Kenan scott@scottkenan.com
Former assistant to Mr. Tennessee Williams who wrote the play that was filmed in PV: LA NOCHE DEL IGUANA. Website: www.walkingonglass.net .

No comments: