Monday, October 3, 2011

A Watershed Weekend (sans water -- mostly)


First the good news: After being unable to get my parents of answer the phone for hours (they ALWAYS answer the phone when home, do NOT have caller ID so cannot screne calls, and are 88 and 93 -- still driving and playing "bridge."), after multiple phone and text messages to my siblings, I heard by text from my sister Julie that my parents are fine -- just were out for hours. This is the FIRST COMMON COURTESY extended to me by my immediate family in well over a year. PROGRESS!!! My sister Jane's phone remains off and I think she's traveling out of th ecountry right now. My brother Mike did not initially respond.

Then later (after I HAD contacted my mother and "blessed" her out for continuing to fight me and refusing to send some humanitarian aid to me in the form of money to buy a jacket -- it turned quite cold a few days ago and I've been freezing since I'm not allowed to get my clothes at Brenda McKnight's house as court ordered and my lawyer has not yet been able to work something out) Mike called me. VERY FRIENDLY!!! He wasn't sure what to say, but he listened and we got along well. ENOUGH PROGRESS TO MAKE ME CRY!!!

Now the unfortunate news. Sunday afternoon, I bummed a cigarette from a guy who told me that the night before (Saturday, for the drug or alcohol-addled), his brother had been in a bar here in Wilmington having a normal conversation with friends. A guy came up and kept talking a lot of crap -- got quite aggressive. They kept trying to shut him up or shoo him off to pester other patrons, but he refused to do either and this brother punched him in the mouth, braking his "glass jaw." The man turned out to be my chief local nemesis, District Attorney Benjamin David!!!

Now, I do not condone violence of any type, and I do NOT gloat on anyone's misfortunes, but this was perfect proof of God's justice if there ever was any.

DISCLAIMER:  Even this morning when I went by the County Court House, I have been unable to get confirmation or denial out of police or anyone else. This MIGHT not be true, but I have no reason to not believe the guy. Ben David did NOT turn up (as usual) at 11:00 AM services at First Presbyterian. His mug and bio were printed on an insert to the service program along with all others who are running fir Church Elder. I have no reason to believe he is not a "Good Presbyterian" -- despite his crimes corrupting the Wilmington area Justice System with the money from the cocaine and heroin importation businesses that he, as District Attorney, PROTECTS. This is a matter for the ministers and congregation of First Prez to decide. If Ben wins, I suggest he be given the William R. Kenan (Sr.) Chair among the Elders. "Buck" Kenan (with the then head monister of our congregation fomented the 1898 Wilmington Race Riot that was the ONLY overturning of a municiple government -- the town was 2 to 1 blacks then and a Mecca for middle-class, professionally trained black folk who dominated much of the civilian leadership. After the riot and murder of many local blacks, most of the educated ones fled the city, it reversed and became majority white, and this incident INSPIRED Southern governments to pass the Jim Crow laws that disenfranchised Black Voters across the entire South!!!

Talk about a legacy for the Kenan Family and First Presbyterian to endure!!! But Buck Kenan's descendants did much to benefit society since then -- and so has First Presbyterian. Woodrow Wilson (whose father was head minister of the congregation and who spent his formative years here) went on to form the League of Nations after WWI (the pre-United Nations). First Prez congregants and ministers today are some of the finest and most effective agents for good who walk this planet.

More later . . .

No comments: