Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Many Peoplia Upsidedownia . . .


The title to this blog post is in memory of Kay (Katherine W.) Pritchard, late wife of the late Leland Stanford Pritchard and mother of Charles Octavius Pritchard, my former partner in Whale's Tale in Cape May, NJ. This phrase, "Many Peoplia Upsidedownia" was written beneath the hand-painted depiction of a lily-of-the-valley string-of-blossoms (the blossoms all replaced by small faces of people) painted on a plate Kay presented her future daughter-in-law (and my former, other, active partner) Hilary Ann Russell in a wry comment on the people in the large household Chuck, Hilary, and I shared with a few others in 1975.

It seems fitting as applied today to our society -- and many of our government and private "helping" agencies as well.

Thank you Kay -- and Leland Stanford too. There are so many of us who miss you and your gentle, caring ways . . .

* * *

This afternoon, I want to address the reply Dan Ferrell sent me and I want to emphasize that I really do not want to pick on him as I suspect MANY people are in similar positions and I DO NOT KNOW ALL THE FACTS ABOUT HIS POSITION OR DUTIES, so this is pretty much by definition unfair.

Still, I believe I have a valid point to make. And unlike the city worker in this morning's post Good News for Nutballs!!! -- I DO NOT accuse Mr. Farrell of being involved in protecting drug trafficking or anything like that.

Mr. Farrell's response is in black and my comments will be in RED:

Mr. Kenan,

I am responding to your questions about the Make A Change donation meters. The Make A Change meter program is an innovative  strategy (good marketing verbiage! sounds like it will be of GREAT practical help to the homeless!!!) for reducing panhandling in downtown areas. (how does it do THIS? I doubt it has reduced panhandling at all -- but I have pereformed no scientific study.) Studies undertaken in Denver and other communities  have confirmed that very little of the money panhandled in downtown areas is actually directed toward  breaking the cycle of homelessness. (This is quite believable as homeless panhandle primarily for food, cigarettes, and alcohol/drugs, in my observation.) In addition, panhandling is a practice that creates a less than hospitable environment in downtown business districts for both residents and visitors alike. (Generally true, although when I ask for "sponsorships" for coffee, etc. -- I have food stamps and there is much free food in ILM so no needing food -- and figure I'm basically a "charity case", so to avoid panhandling, which is illegal -- I ask for Sponsorships like good, upstanding Charities!!!)

Accordingly, the primary goal of the meter program is simply  to discourage panhandling. (you probably earn an "F" grade for this.) Any money received from donations made to the meters is considered a byproduct of that goal.  The meter heads, poles and the labor needed to install the meters were donated by the Town of Wrightsville Beach, the City of Wilmington and Lanier Parking Systems.  (I'm sure they meant well and trusted your United Way brand, the "26th most valued brand"!!!) We placed the first meter downtown  in August of 2009.  Subsequently, slightly more that $700 has been collected from the meters and has been deposited in a United Way bank account for safe-keeping. (I've heard you have about eight meters all together. For ease, let's say seven. That's $50.00 collected per meter per year -- or 14 cents each per day. Was that sum worth the investment in equipment and other costs of instalation and collection??? Additionally, there is the cost of administration -- your salary, which is none of my business, but I assume you get one. Maybe you are a volunteer. Who pays that? Do you have other duties? ILM United Way Staff Directory: http://www.uwcfa.org/staff . This was all I could find by googling you: http://www.google.com/search?q=%22dan+ferrell%22+wilmington%2C+nc&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&ie=&oe= .)


All money collected from the meters is donated annually by the 10 Year Plan’s Executive Board to organizations in the downtown area that are working to help end homelessness.  Five meters are currently operating within the downtown Wilmington business district. In May 2011 the Executive Board donated $600 to The Salvation Army and the Good Shepherd Center – split evenly between the two organizations.  The board will make its next donation in May of 2012.

I'm glad that Providence led me to Mercy House Shelter, although I have nothing bad to say about the Salvation Army. I wish you the best in this continuing innovative effort to (primarily) reduce panhandling in Downtown Wilmington and presumably Wrightsville Beach as well -- not that the Beach lets homeless stay overnight!!! I assume since I'd heard there were more meters than the six in ILM that they are there. And may The Lord bless you with improving financial results so that someday, the program director's salary (if you are NOT a volunteer) can be covered. Otherwise, this seems justs a drain on United Way's budget!!!

Regards,   
Dan Ferrell
Strategic Director
10 Year Plan to End Chronic Homelessness and Reduce Homelessness in the Cape Fear Region        

5919 Oleander Dr., Suite 115  
Arboretum Center Building II  
Wilmington, NC  28403  
910-798-3900 X105  
910-798-3917 (fax)

Please note new email and web addresses:  
.

No comments: