Friday, October 14, 2011

I'm Beginning to Feel Like Ronald Reagan (or sumpthing)!!!



Thanks to all who signed the MoveOn.org petition, some of you through this blog or in response to my gonzo emailing!!! As you probably already know, the Occupy Wall Street protesters were NOT evicted and THE SECOND AMERICAN REVOLUTION continues to grow like a wildfire. See: http://www.facebook.com/pages/OccupyWilmingtonNC/162679767152716#!/pages/OccupyWilmingtonNC/162679767152716?sk=wall&filter=2 for local news, and PLEASE be sure to click the "Everyone" link at the top, right to see comments by citizens as well as the organization's news.

Last night, First Presbyterian Church of Wilmington fed us homeless at Mercy House on Red Cross Street. It was an event leaving me with mixed emotions.

First of all, THANKS to all of you who did the work and provided the food -- it is greatly appreciated. But that said, I have a few additional comments, and I hope no one takes them the wrong way.

The two people who seemed most in charge were very comfortable and social with us all, but that cannot be said of all the adults who served. Don't get me wrong, ALL should be commended, but unlike every other church or other group whom I've seen serve to the homeless, some seemed a bit stand-offish and conveyed by their presence a reluctance to want to be too close to us. It's like they prefered to view us from the other side of the table and did not know quite what to make of exotic creatures like we, the homeless. I DO NOT MEAN THAT THEY LOOKED DOWN ON US SO MUCH AS I MEAN THAT THEY JUST SEEMED TO BE FROM A DIFFERENT WORLD. They were NOT uncharitable or judgemental -- just seemed out of their element -- and THAT was good. We all must step out of our element to grow.

Also surprisingly, none of the workers seemed familiar with the legal/political vulnerability of District Attorney Ben David, who is on the slate of Deacons and Elders to be voted up or down by the First Presbyterian membership this coming Sunday after 11:00 AM service, although at least one person said he would look into it. I have been since PALM SUNDAY trying to open the eyes of church leadership with the repeated response that I might be delusional.

OK, I might be delusional, but then so might THEY. I sure hope something is worked out before the congregation ends up highly embarassed by the whole thing. I don't think the Federal Agent I met on the Riverfront three days ago would have told me TV-3 should continue to run with my story if he wasn't confident that Ben would soon be brought to justice.

And speaking of mysteries, although Janet McConneghey (sp?) of S.E. Mental Health decided it best that De' Corbett not do my psychological evaluation, I have now waited TWO days for the person who IS to do it to call and schedule the appointment. The court wanted it soon, so I hope to hear this morning.

And in other News of the Tardy, Danny Sinatra, who helped me move the first half of my possessions from Brenda McKnight's house with the help of Wilmington Police last Sunday, has not returned my calls for two days either. He had told me he would like to help me remove the rest quickly and before this weekend. It is now Friday, and with the difficulties of setting up a time with Brenda (whom I'm court ordered not to contact), things are running a little behind!!!

Thinking something might be wrong in the Sinatra household (Danny -- who greatly resembles his famous great-uncle -- works as an extra on the TV series ONE TREE HILL and lives here with his Goth-movie, cult-actress wife, Phoebe Dollar http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1085263/ , their baby, and Phoebe's fun parents), although they rarely get up before noon -- something usually reserved for the drug-addicted, but Danny's Mom, Pat (the first of the Sinatras I met at the Saturday market months ago, and who actually lives in Ontario, CA) assured me this is just their way -- having lived in Hollywood culture too long. They don't answer her calls either.

Well, I'm not sure WHAT to think any more. Danny told me he and Phoebe were to get delivery of an HD movie camera Monday (four days ago, now), and want to film MY story -- in fact Danny began by turning on a miniature voice recorder in his breast pocket before we entered Brenda's house. But there, he took so long talking to Brenda downstairs and carrying out to the car only four boxes of kitchen goods -- which Brenda had kindly already packed for me -- that I was able in the meantime to pack up EVERYTHING in my room and bathroom upstairs before Danny came up to help me there.

As I said, it is a mystery. Perhaps I'll get some clarity today . . .

Scott
.

No comments: