Tuesday, January 22, 2013

A FUN DAY on Riviera Nayarit, Mexico!!!

 
The beach here at Chacala, Mexico. That hill in background is our OWN collapsed dormant volcano, and the forest we are in is one of the TWELVE MOST DIVERSE on earth according to the United Nations (good surfing too -- and only 300 year-round residents)!!!
 
 
 
 
 
>>> TODAY, THESE THINGS HAPPENED:
 
 
1. I had to run errands, and ate late lunch in Las Penitas, about 18 miles from home. I noticed the awning across the street, "Fruteria El Campo", and remembered my stop in El Campo, Texas on my way back from claiming my remaining belongings in Stone Mountain, GA, back last November. i decided to stop over to ask if it was reference to the Texas town -- IT WAS!!!
 
 
Not only THAT, but when I said I'd stopped at a Buc-EES, I was surprised to learn that close relatives of friends -- and more importantly, POLITICAL ALLIES of mine lived within a stone's throw of the convenience store. I mentioned their last name.
 
 
Immediately, a short young Mexican guy in the back hollared, "Pancho -- mi amigo!!!" At first I was confused, but then remembered that "Pancho" is what all Mexicans call someone named Francisco -- or Francis -- so he know Frank Sinatra, Jr., whom I ALMOST made arragements to stay with there, but was in too much of a hurry to GET OUT OF THE USA!!!
 
 
 
 
2. Via "Classmate" today, I found some old friends from my two high schools and Denison University. The mate I knew from furthest back is Sue Doyle who lived down Dunsinane Drive between Exton and West Chester, PA when I was in 7 - 11 grades. Susan's father was high in Army Intelligence and Susan always STERNLY warned us all that although her Dad could NOT tell what he knew, we would all be scared SHITLESS if we knew the truth about our Government. HA!!!
 
 
So I sent Susan a message about what all AYE have learned. HA!!!
 
 
See also my take on living on such a Shakespearean Drive: http://scottkenan.blogspot.mx/2011/05/birnam-wood-done-come-to-dunsinane.html .
 
 
3. I also found Steve Fretwell, my Senior year roommate at Denison. It was an ODD pairing that resulted from my winning a position as Head Resident of the largest men's dorm (primarily Freshmen, as I remember), on campus and Steve was selected by the Fraternities -- that was the system then. To keep it fair in the war between Frat Boys and Independents
(in the Liberal early 70s, fraternities had taken a big hit to their popularity and so a rep of each group was decided best in the Head Residents' positions -- two per dorm, and we got a GREAT apartment instead of just a room).


Steve was one of those totally cool California people -- and his Dad was President or CEO of Steelcase Industries -- then the largest manufacturer of office furniture. And Steve was President of Inter-fraternity Council, the oversight committee for the nine Denison fraternities.


Turned out, we knew a LOT of the same people -- and traded SEX DISH on all the homosexuals pretending to be straight. HA! -- that included TWO fraternity presidents!!! GREAT STORIES of those two SNEAKING OUT of gay bars in Columbus, OH (30 miles west) -- in fact, ONE of these fraternity presidents had been my roommate on a MONTH LONG study trip to Cathedrals and Art Museums in and near London and Paris -- and all that time he KNEW I was gay but NEVER LET ON THAT HE WAS GAY TOO -- and I saw this guy's mother at Commencement Exercises FEEDING HIM MANY PRESCRIPTIONS FROM BOTTLES SHE HAD IN HER PURSE.


(His family owned a HUGE wholesale plumbing supply distributorship in Pennsylvania -- the back-waters area.)


In any case, while we hung in different crowds, Steve and I had the SAME VALUES of Integrity and Service, so MANY great conversations. I called his business this evening, and while Steve was not in, I learned he is still with his same Denison girlfriend Debbie -- whom I also liked a lot. I even went to their wedding in DC a couple of years later.


4. I completed REMOVING identifiable names of my landlady and this residence so no problems are caused by people googling for info. It takes a week or two for Google to update their SCHTUFF, after which NO ONE googling for info on my residence should find stories that might concern them about renting here. All's well that end's well is ALWAYS MY MOTO!!!


Scott

.

No comments: